Thursday 2 March 2017

A Favourite Book

As it's World Book Day today, I thought I'd tell you about one of my favourite books.


The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge tells the story of Maria Merryweather who goes to live in the mysterious manor of Moonacre, home to people and animals that all seem strangely familiar. At first it reads like a classic story of the orphan sent to live amongst strangers (Frances Hodgson Burnett was one of my favourite authors when I was young) but elements of fantasy creep in as she learns about the secret from the past that haunts her new world. 

I read this book many times as a child and it's still a very special book for me. From Maria's little attic room with its child sized door and biscuits on the mantelpiece to the wonderful Robin, 'the best companion in the world' - I loved it all. 

Books were a big part of my life when I was growing up, both owned and borrowed from the library. In the school holidays I would borrow three books one day (the most I was allowed to take out at any one time) and take them back the next. The librarian never believed that I'd read them! When I exhausted the children's library in town, my Mum asked for an adult ticket for me. They refused to give me one so she gave me her ticket to use. One of the many things I'm grateful to her for.

What are your favourite books?

No comments:

Post a Comment